At Yapton CE Primary School we believe that Mathematics provides a foundation for understanding the world, the ability to reason mathematically and a sense of enjoyment and curiosity about the subject.
From Reception class onwards, our children go on a mathematical journey. Children learn intially through play using a wide range of real objects. As their confidence and mathematical fluency grows so does their understanding of number and place value.
As the children progress through the Key Stages children understand the connections between mathematical concepts and learn to problem solve using more abstract mathematical understanding.
See our calculation policy below
We aim to develop pupils’ abilities within a combined programme of Speaking & Listening, Reading & Writing. At Yapton CE Primary school we strive for children to be highly literate individuals who demonstrate the ability to:
- read and write with confidence, fluency and understanding, developing a range of independent strategies to edit and correct.
- have an interest in books and read for enjoyment
- have an interest in words, their meanings; developing a growing vocabulary in spoken and written forms.
- understand a range of text types and genres – be able to write in a variety of styles and forms appropriate to the situation and audience
- develop creativity and imagination
- have a suitable technical vocabulary to articulate their responses
We believe that 'talk' is the foundation for writing and by having access to a range of books children are empowered to express their own ideas.
Please see the attachment below for our school handwriting scheme.